Get Help Today

My Virtual Divorce, P.C.


111 Deerwood Road, Suite 200
San Ramon, California 94583



Help! I’m Stuck.

Help! I’m Stuck.

In the 8th post of our Divorce from A to Z series, we are up to H.  In this case, H stands for Help!

Many people start the divorce process and get the initial forms filed, but then find out that the courts have very specific ways that they want things done.  This results in a “stuck” case where the clerk or the judge keeps sending back paperwork to be redone and the case keeps dragging out forever.

Even within California, each county court may have very different procedures for how each step of the divorce process is handled.  So, what can you do when you get stuck?

One option is to hire a traditional law firm to review your paperwork, advise you on your next steps, represent you in court, and finish the divorce process.  The upsides of this option are that divorce lawyers are familiar with the court system, know the procedures, and can get your case finished.  The downside is usually going to be the cost that comes with hiring a lawyer who represents you in court.

Another option is to keep trying yourself.  The clerk or judge may give you some idea of what you need to do when they reject your documents.  The upside of this option is that it is the cheapest route, but may not be the most efficient route.  It can also result in your case dragging out or never getting finished.

A third option is to hire law firm that offers unbundled services, like My Virtual Divorce, P.C.  Unbundled services (or sometimes called Limited Scope) are where a lawyer helps you understand the paperwork, tells you what needs to be filed, and prepares the forms for you, but the lawyer doesn’t represent you in front of the judge or in the courtroom.  This keeps costs down because you are not paying for travel, court hearings, responding to the other side, etc.  The downside of this option is that you may have to appear in court on your own, which can be a little scary or intimidating.  However, a limited scope firm can also provide you with coaching on what to say and how to present your case to get the result you want.

If you are stuck in the divorce process and need help, please check out our services offered in our store.  We can help you get unstuck and move on with your life.

LEGAL ADVERTISEMENT. This is just a basic overview and is not legal advice specific to your situation. You should consult qualified legal counsel with questions regarding your situation.